Although the holiday we'll celebrate on Monday, Presidents' Day, honors the birth dates of George Washington, Abraham Lincoln and the rest the men who have served as president, it was the first federal holiday to honor an American citizen.
The original holiday was celebrated on Washington's actual birthday in 1796 (the last full year of his presidency) on Feb. 22. It is now celebrated on the third Monday in Feburary.
So, in honor of the birth of the commanders in chief from 1796 to today, here are some closures in and around Belmont:
- All federal, state and county offices will be closed Monday.
- San Carlos City Hall and respective offices, will be closed on Monday.
- In addition, all schools, libraries and post office will be closed on Monday.
- No classes will be held at NDNU or San Mateo County community colleges.
- Some banks, however, will be open on Presidents' Day, including Wells Fargo. Check with your local bank before leaving home.
- SamTrans will operate regular non-school weekday service on Presidents' Day.
- Caltrain will run on a modified schedule on Presidents Day with 44 trains operating between San Francisco and San Jose, including one round-trip to Gilroy. The schedule will include 11 limited-stop trains in the morning and afternoon. For more information on fares and schedules, call 1.800.660.4287 (TTY 650.508.6448), or visit www.samtrans.com or www.caltrain.com.
Don’t be left out of the conversation taking place in San Carlos:
Sign up for San Carlos's daily newsletter
"Like us" on Facebook
"Follow us" on Twitter
Want to share your opinions with San Carlos? Start your own blog.