Referring to the timing of the annual council reorganization, San Carlos Mayor Matt Grocott said last November that it was "unusual history on the council" that moved the end of his term to March of this year.
On Monday, March 11, current vice mayor Bob Grassilli will take the gavel and councilmember Mark Olbert will become vice mayor.
Typically, the mayor position rotates after one year, which would have been last November but, as Grocott explained, nothing has been typical in San Carlos since 2001 when then-mayor David Buckmaster left the council after serving just two years of his four-year term.
"That made for a difficult rotation," said Grocott at the November meeting.
"The ripple effect of that affected my time on the council. This is my third term on the council, and I'm serving as mayor because of a resignation."
Grocott was referring to the resignation in April of Andy Klein, who cited personal reasons for leaving the council.
Grassilli and Grocott are on the same election cycle, which means they are both up for re-election in 2013.
Other items on the agenda for Monday night's San Carlos City Council meeting:
- Mayor - Administer Oath of Office to Mayor Bob Grassilli (# 4a)
- Police - Adopt Amendment # 6 to Police Services Contract with County Sheriff to Reduce Costs (# 8h)
- Reusable Bags - Adopt Ordinance No. 1455 Adding Chapter 8.28 to the Municipal Code: Reusable Bag Ordinance (# 9a)
- Library - Approve Plans & Specifications for San Carlos Library Renovation Project (# 10a)
- Caltrain - Authorize Mayor to Sign Comment Letter - Caltrain Electrification Project - Environmental Impact Report (EIR) Scoping Process (# 10b)
- Strategic Plan - Adopt Resolution Approving 6-Month Strategic Plan (# 10c)
The agenda, council reports and full packet are now available on the city's ePackets website.
The San Carlos City Council will meet on Monday, March 11th at 7:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers, City Hall, 600 Elm St.
For more San Carlos news, check out these stories:
- Greg St. Clair: 'San Carlos Can Support More Quality Restaurants'
- Dine and Dash Suspect Nabbed in San Carlos
- Mountain Lion Spotted Near Arguello Park
- Op-Ed: Opting for Silence
- Minimum Age Requirement Doesn't Stop White Oaks Twins