Following a unanimous vote by the Monday night, the 23 eucalyptus trees near Burton Park that have been deemed unsafe, will be removed, starting as early as today according to , director of Parks and Recreation.
Barricades have been set up in the area along Cedar, Arroyo and Chestnut streets warning residents and visitors not to park there while the tree removal is being conducted.
The removal of the trees comes after a months-long process by the city, in which two community meetings were held and input was received on the selection of replacement trees. Earlier this year a certified arborist examined the trees and determined them to be unsafe. In fact, branches from one of the trees designated for removal, . No one was injured, but the car was severely damaged.
"How extraordinary the tree should choose this time to come down," said San Carlos resident Brian Randall during pubic comment segment of the meeting.
Some residents are concerned with the removal of the trees and the effect it will have on the city's cultural landscape. suggested that a portion of one of the trees be preserved in the city's history museum.
By doing so, Grocott said the city would be, "Saving something in recognition of the historic nature of the trees."
The city is asking residents to be prepared for traffic delays and use caution in the area surrounding Burton Park.
A letter sent out to residents in the area by the Parks and Recreation Department, explained that following the removal, new irrigation will be installed and tree replacement will begin. The variety of new trees includes: London Plane, Ginkgo, Hackberry, Scarlet Oak, Autumn Blaze, Rebud, Chinese Fringe, Amur and Three Flower Maple.