Here are Santa Cruz Police Department's standards
A. The following types of illegal drug use or possession will be considered automatic disqualifiers in the pre-employment selection process for non-sworn police personnel, with no exceptions:
1. Any adult use or possession of a drug classified as a hallucinogenic within seven (7) years prior to application for employment.
2. Any adult use or possession of marijuana within one (1) year prior to application for employment.
3. Any other illegal adult use or possession of a drug not mentioned above (including cocaine) within three (3) years prior to application for employment.
4. Any illegal adult use or possession of a drug while employed in the capacity of a police officer, licensed security officer, military police, or as a student enrolled in college accredited courses of/or related to the criminal justice field.
5. Any adult manufacture or cultivation of a drug.
6. Failure to divulge to the Police Department during the background investigation any information about personal illegal use or possession of drugs.
B. The disqualification of a police officer candidate for the following types of illegal drug use or possession will be considered in relationship to the overall background of that individual:
1. Any illegal juvenile use or possession of a drug.
2. Any illegal adult use or possession of a drug that does not meet the criteria of the automatic disqualifiers specified above; e.g., marijuana use longer than one (1) year ago or cocaine use longer than three (3) years ago.
C. All information obtained during a background investigation is confidential and will not be released to candidates or others.