Welcome to the Weekly Walker, presented by San Carlos Patch and accomplished local trekker, Tom Davids.
Tom is well-known around town for his proclivity to walk whenever and wherever possible. When he stands still for any period of time, Tom is also an agent with Intero Real Estate services.
In his other life, Tom served on the San Carlos City Council for 12 years, including three terms as mayor. He and his hiking and life partner of 55 years, Veralyn, have lived in San Carlos 35 years. They have four children and nine grandsons. Tom has lead hikes for the San Carlos Park and Recreation Department for many years and authored the Weekly Walker column in local weekly newspapers for 12 years beginning in 1994.
Tom’s purpose in writing this column “is to share the joy of walking…for exercise, for health, for relaxation, for serenity and for scores of other good reasons.”
Tom and his wife Veralyn have hiked all of the trails presented and he would like to hear about your favorite hikes on the Peninsula…email@example.com.
A few notes from Tom about the Weekly Walker:
San Carlos Patch, your hometown on line news site will distribute Weekly Walker each Thursday, just in time for you to make your weekend hiking plans. Some readers have clipped and saved columns over the years and you will find that many titles are the same. While the content may be similar, I have updated the hikes as necessary and included links to web sites for additional information including up to date maps.
- I am a nature education docent at Filoli and enjoy working with children on nature hikes.
- I lead two hikes each month sponsored by the San Carlos Park and Recreation Department.
- I wear a FitBit and average 120,000 steps a week.
- I have trekked in Nepal and Peru and Veralyn and I hiked coast-to-coast in England and village- to -village in Switzerland.
- This summer I will do a lake- to- lake hike in Austria with two grandsons who are graduating from high school.
- I prefer a 12 mile hike but Veralyn and I now negotiate the end point.
Watch for Tom's first Weekly Walker entry coming up shortly:
Soda Gulch Trail in Purisima Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve