By the City of Redwood City
This Saturday, Feb. 23, join friends, family, neighbors, and other community members for this Asian celebration of change and the Year of the Snake!
It all takes place from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Courthouse Square, 2200 Broadway in downtown Redwood City.
Lion dancers, Red Panda Acrobats, martial arts, kids arts and Zodiac-themed crafts, food, an inflatable playland and more! Plus it's FREE!
Here's what's happening:
- Opening ceremonies featuring Kristen Sze of ABC7 Morning News
- Lion dancers, martial arts and more from Shaolin Culture Center
- Red Panda Acrobats
- Taiko ensemble performance
- Demonstration by California Kung Fu and Tai Chi
- Performance by Vân-Ánh Võ, Vietnamese musician and master of the dan tranh zither
On that same day, everyone can enjoy free admission to the San Mateo County History Museum all day, and enjoy their featured Lunar New Year Celebration, with children's crafts and activities in the rotunda.
This is Redwood City's third annual Lunar New Year celebration! The Lunar New Year is one of the most important holidays in Asian heritage, often celebrated with big family gatherings, gift giving, the eating of symbolic foods, and displays of festive decorations - all focused on bringing good luck for the New Year and celebrating the imminent arrival of spring.
Redwood City's Lunar New Year is made possible by the following generous sponsors:
- San Mateo Credit Union
- Redwood General Tire
- Recology San Mateo County
- Kaiser Permanente
- Provident Credit Union
- Palo Alto Medical Foundation
- Sakura Teppanyaki & Sushi
- News for Chinese
- ABC 7
- Redwood City International
- San Mateo County History Museum
Visit www.redwoodcity.org/events/lunarnewyear.html for schedule of events and all the details!
Have you been to Redwood City's Lunar New Year Celebration before in past years? Tell us what you thought of it in the comments below.
Also on Patch:
- 86-Year-Old Woman Interrupts Home Burglary
- Progress at Restaurant on Former Hardware Store Site
- CHS Class of '63: Has it Been 50 Years Already?
Don’t be left out of the conversation taking place in Belmont:
Sign up for Belmont Patch's daily newsletter
"Like" us on Facebook
"Follow" us on Twitter
Want to share your opinions with the Belmont? Start your own blog.
Don’t be left out of the conversation taking place in San Carlos:
Sign up for San Carlos's daily newsletter
"Like us" on Facebook
"Follow us" on Twitter
Want to share your opinions with San Carlos? Start your own blog.